CATHEDRAL OF ST ALEXANDER NEVSKY

Close

The first mentioning of the Church of St Alexander Nevsky first appeared in the chronicles of 1625. A new church was probably built on the site of the former one in 1630, in the times of Patriarch Filaret, on the east side of the Belfry, not far from the Church of the Wonderworkers of Chernigov. It was called the cathedral in 1634.

In 1681-1683, the two churches were built under one roof. The altars of St Alexander Nevsky and the Wonderworkers of Chernigov were transferred there, while the old churches, probably dilapidated, were dismantled. Both churches were consecrated in 1683. Those shrines are depicted in the engravings of the early 18th century, showing the Kremlin from the Zamoskvorechie District. They were located to the west of the gates of the Prikaz (administrative) Chambers. Ten domes crowned the united pyramidal roof. An open arcade surrounded the buildings of the churches, and a staircase from Ivanovskaya Square led to the arcade. The whole construction, together with the Prikaz Chambers, was dismantled in 1772 because of the preparations to build the Grand Kremlin Palace according to Bazhenov’s design.

Fragment of the Kremlin view from the Zamoskvorechie District

'Kremlenagrad' plan fragment, view from the east side of the BelfryFragment of a plan and façade of the Administrative Office (Prikaz) with the Churches of the Saints of Chernigov and the St Prince