ALEXANDER II MONUMENT

Close

The memorial complex devoted to Alexander II was erected on the initiative of his son Alexander III in commemoration of the tsar-reformer, tsar-liberator, who abolished serfdom in 1861. The monument was found in 1893 in the southeast part of the Kremlin, above the hill facing the Moskva River. In March 1918, the Kremlin became the Soviet government residence, and the monument to the emperor was the first to be destroyed as the symbol of the overthrown regime.

Fragment of the Kremlin view from the Moskva RiverGeneral view of the monument from north-westMonument view from Ivanovskaya Square, façadeMonument to Alexander II, view from Ivanovskaya Square