CHAPEL OF THE REVELATION OF THE COUNSELOR

Close

The earliest picture of the chapels situated on Red Square to the rights and the left of the Spasskaya (Saviour’s) Tower was drawn by architect Giacomo Quarenghi most probably in 1797. In 1821, the old chapels were dismantled and the new ones of stone with iron roofs were built under the supervision of Joseph Bové. In 1866-1867 those chapels were taken to pieces and rebuilt in the so-called Russian stile. TheChapel of the Revelation of the Counselor was situated to the left of the Saviour’s Tower. The patron icon was the image of Our Lady of Smolensk. Both chapels were consecrated in October 1868. Their iconostases were renewed in 1902. In 1925 they were disassembled.

View on the Spasskaya Tower of the Moscow Kremlin and the chapelsChapel of the Revelation of the Counselor by the southern side of the Spasskaya Tower gatesChapel of the Revelation of the Counselor at the left side of the Spasskaya Tower gatesChapel of the Revelation of the Counselor at the left side of the Spasskaya Tower gates