THE CHURCH OF THE EPIPHANY OF THE TRINITY SERGIUS METOCHION

Close

The first stone church was built by the elders of the Trinity Sergius Monastery in 1460 on the site of the former wooden one, mentioned in the 1374 chronicles. It was dismantled in 1480 because of its dilapidation. In 1482, a new shrine was built of stone. It is likely that due to the fire in 1737, the damaged building was taken to pieces. The new-built Church of the Epiphany was consecrated in 1754. The Trinity Sergius Metochion (ecclesiastical embassy church) was closed down in 1764. All the buildings of the metochion, including the Church of the Epiphany, were disassembled in 1807-1808 as that place was chosen for constructing the Armoury Chamber.

`Kremlenagrad` plan fragment, the Church of the EpiphanyView on the Church of the Epiphany from the Nikolskaya Tower gatesFaçade of the Church of the Epiphany