THE STS. CONSTANTINE AND HELEN TOWERClose
- TOWERS OF THE KREMLIN
- THE SECRET (TAINITSKAYA) TOWER
- THE BEKLEMISHEV TOWER
- THE ANNUNCIATION TOWER
- THE 2ND NAMELESS TOWER
- THE PETER TOWER
- THE 1ST NAMELESS TOWER
- THE WATER SUPPLYING TOWER
- THE STS. CONSTANTINE AND HELEN TOWER
- THE BOROVITSKAYA TOWER
- THE SAVIOUR (SPASSKAYA) TOWER
- THE ST. NICHOLAS (NIKOLSKAYA) TOWER
- THE SENATE (SENATSKAYA) TOWER
- THE CORNER ARSENAL TOWER
- THE MIDDLE ARSENAL TOWER
- THE ARMOURY (ORUZHEINAYA) TOWER
- THE Ð¡OMMANDANT TOWER
- THE ALARM BELL (NABATNAYA) TOWER
- THE TRINITY (TROITSKAYA) TOWER
- THE KUTAFIYA TOWER
- THE TSAR`S (TSARSKAYA) TOWER
- BUILDINGS IN THE KREMLIN
The Sts. Constantine and Helen Tower (former Timofeyevskaya) was erected in 1490 by Pietro Antonio Solari in the place of the white-stone Kremlin Timofeyevskiye Gate (1366-1368).
It was named after the Sts. Constantine and Helen's Church that stood nearby in the Kremlin. Initially, it was a pass-tower, which protected ancient roads that connected the Kremlin with the Great Posad (Kitay-Gorod) — the approaches from the nearest Moskva River pier — Velikaya (Great) and Varskaya streets.
The tower had a mighty side-strelnitsa connected with its body by a drawbridge across the deep moat.
In 1670-1680, the tower was overbuilt with a four-faceted stone marquee. In 1707, on the order of Peter the Great, the loopholes were widened, so that cannons could have been installed inside. In the early XIXth century, the drawbridge and the side-strelnitsa were dismantled, the gate was filled.
Its height is 36,8 meters.