The Tainitskaya (literally 'secret') is the central tower of the Kremlin’s south wall. It was erected in 1485 by Anton Fryazin on the site of Cheshkovye or Chushkovye gates of the fortress from the times of Dmitry Donskoy, which gave the start to constructing new fortifications in the late 15th century.

The Tainitskaya Tower was the most significant in the defence system of the Kremlin's riverside. Built with a secret well inside and a hidden exit to the Moskva River, it had a diverted fighting platform (a fortified outpost) connected by a stone bridge, as well as entrance gates. One could enter the battlement through a lifting bridge.

The tower got a fire-prevention function in the 17th century. Till 1674 there was a striking clock. A hipped roof was erected above the massive four-sided structure in the 1670s-1680s. The tower was dismantled in 1770-1771, due to the plans of building the Kremlin Palace, and then rebuilt without the diverted fighting platform in 1783. It was damaged by explosions in 1812 and newly restored in 1816-1818. The fighting platform was reconstructed in the forms stylized according to the 17th century in 1862.

In 1930-1933 the tower was restored, the fighting platform was demolished again, the well was backfilled, the entrance gates were filled in from the outside.

The height of the tower is 38.4 metres.

Tainitskaya TowerTainitskaya Tower. Main viewTainitskaya Tower. PerspectiveTainitskaya Tower. Perspective